Mission Statement

This is a blog about reentry into society for persons released from prison and the many difficulties and barriers they face. The writings contained in this blog come from personal experience and they are intended to put out information from the real life adventures I have come up against with navigating my reentry into society. The blog welcomes submissions from anyone who is or has gone through reentry after prison as well as from any authorities, organizations, etc. with information that would be help for prisoners with their reentry to society after incarceration.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Reaching Out

By Steve Gordon

Saturday morning, August 28, 2010, I had a 15 minute meeting with US Congressman Patrick Murphy (8th District) in his Bristol office. I talked with him about my concerns for ex-offender employment from my experiences in trying to find a job since my release from state prison after 10 years in May, 2010. He listened and we discussed some specifics.

I appreciate his availability to meet with the people in his district and I am sure there are many concerns beyond my specific problems. I know the president talks about job programs to put America back to work. I see these as looking to corporate America, but from where I sit it does not appear corporate America is ready to step in on the ex-offender employment issue.

There has been openings in the Pennsylvania Career Link (Bristol office) which I have applied for that would give me employment, but beyond that perhaps I could put myself in a position to help other ex-offenders who will go through what I am going through.

Recently I wrote to three local state representatives (Bernie O'Neill, Frank Farry, Scott Petri), two local state senators (Robert Tomlinson and Stewart Greenleaf) and the governors office. Only Senator Greenleaf responded saying he recognized my concerns. Here is what he wrote in part in that Aug. 16 letter:

     "Thank you for contacting my office about ex-offender employment. I agree that we need to do more to connect ex-offenders with job opportunities and your suggestion that employment offices have individuals who specialize in finding jobs for ex-offenders is a good one. I introduced Senate Bill 1198 to improve the State's re-entry programs. I would like to see educational and vocational training in prison better coordinated with job opportunities available upon release from prison. I would also like to see the Department of Corrections and the Pennsylvania Board of Probation and Parole make better use of community and faith-based organizations in facilitating the successful re-entry of ex-offenders."

I don't expect miracles or someone to knock on my door tomorrow and offer me some great well compensating job. I am willing to take whatever job I am capable of doing, but if I can get a job where I can help someone else who will be where I am, that would be the best scenario. How much more comfortable would an ex-offender be going into an employment office and speaking to someone who has been where he has been and walked the path he has walked and show that there is hope and be able to provide some help?

That's all I have for today.  Stay tuned for potential undates.

No comments:

Post a Comment