Mission Statement

This is a blog about reentry into society for persons released from prison and the many difficulties and barriers they face. The writings contained in this blog come from personal experience and they are intended to put out information from the real life adventures I have come up against with navigating my reentry into society. The blog welcomes submissions from anyone who is or has gone through reentry after prison as well as from any authorities, organizations, etc. with information that would be help for prisoners with their reentry to society after incarceration.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Pardon Me

by Steve Gordon

I have not written on this site for a long time. I have been wrapped up in getting things back together and writing on a golf related blog and working. Yes, I found a job even if it is a minimum wage part-time job doing prep work and related jobs in the kitchen of the Chick-fil-A in Newtown, PA.

But I am not writing about that. I applied for a Pardon last fall. It is as the letter accepting my application described "a lengthy process." I have to state up front that I am not looking for absolution for my offense. What I am looking for is to clear my record for background checks.

This is a big deal for anyone trying to enter the job market these days. Jobs are hard enough to find let alone being labeled as as ex-offender and going against similar or higher qualified people who do not have a criminal record. And here is a new insult. I wanted to sign up to be a volunteer worker at the Merion Golf Club for the 2013 US Open golf tournament but I couldn't because you have to pass a background check.

I recently got a letter from the Board of Pardons for some more detailed information. I filled out the information they asked for and returned the original and five (5) copies as requested. Next step is for the application (and the numerous inclusions I provided) is to be reviewed positively and have a public hearing scheduled. For this all the authorities and victims would be notified and would be given the opportunity to provide their thoughts.

This pardon is a long way from being approved and sent to the governor's desk to be signed. I just wanted to put this out there and urge anyone who does not have a long record of criminal behavior to apply for a Pardon. Worst case scenario is they say no and nothing lost. Best case would be to have the Pardon granted and be given a clean slate to compete in the job market and other things.

Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment