Mission Statement

This is a blog about reentry into society for persons released from prison and the many difficulties and barriers they face. The writings contained in this blog come from personal experience and they are intended to put out information from the real life adventures I have come up against with navigating my reentry into society. The blog welcomes submissions from anyone who is or has gone through reentry after prison as well as from any authorities, organizations, etc. with information that would be help for prisoners with their reentry to society after incarceration.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Barriers

By Steve Gordon

Recently I got an email from a student at a college in Texas who was writing a paper on barriers faced by ex-felons.

Communicating via email we were going to do a recorded phone interview and she sent me 16 questions but the timing didn't work out for her availability to phone me and when I would have adequate time to respond.

As such, I answered her questions via email. In doing so I probably provided her with more information than she bargained for. She came back with two follow up questions.

She found me as a result of a newspaper article that was in the Philadelphia Inquirer about two years ago concerning the then proposed law (that passed) on banning the question of having a felony conviction.

As there were 16 questions and some of my answers were lengthy, and some included sensitive material, I won't publish them here. Also, personally, things have been a little hectic recently with some home improvements going on, a trip to Gettysburg for the 150th anniversary of the battle (that ultimately proved to be the turning point that saved our nations unity), and just life in general.

Let's let "Jane" write her paper and see what she comes up with. She promised to send me a copy and I can hope she hits all the right points and that I helped contribute to her getting an 'A' on it.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment