Mission Statement

This is a blog about reentry into society for persons released from prison and the many difficulties and barriers they face. The writings contained in this blog come from personal experience and they are intended to put out information from the real life adventures I have come up against with navigating my reentry into society. The blog welcomes submissions from anyone who is or has gone through reentry after prison as well as from any authorities, organizations, etc. with information that would be help for prisoners with their reentry to society after incarceration.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

The ultimate insult

By Steve Gordon

In the newspaper there was an announcement for a job fair at the Career Link office in Bucks County. An unnamed sanitation company was hiring 40 people. I called my counselor and veterans representative about this and the reply was short and simple just as this post will be. As an ex-offender I am not qualified to ride the back of a garbage truck and dump trash cans. I am a bit surprised the Career Link, who some have said is trying to work with ex-offenders, permitted this in their own offices. If I knew anything about the law I think maybe legal action would be appropriate, but that would be falling into the litigious society mentality we live in.

The positive news of the day was I got a phone call to set up an interview with Bottom Dollar and a local bakery I applied to also phoned today. Could this be the result of my revamped resume courtesy of the Resume Writing program at the Career Link?

The interview is Dec. 11th so stay in touch for the outcome on that. I returned the phone call to the bakery but did not get a call back. I will call them tomorrow. Could I go from no job to two job offers to choose from? Now that would be a trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment