Mission Statement

This is a blog about reentry into society for persons released from prison and the many difficulties and barriers they face. The writings contained in this blog come from personal experience and they are intended to put out information from the real life adventures I have come up against with navigating my reentry into society. The blog welcomes submissions from anyone who is or has gone through reentry after prison as well as from any authorities, organizations, etc. with information that would be help for prisoners with their reentry to society after incarceration.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Reconnecting with my son

By Steve Gordon

A couple weeks ago my son called and asked if I would meet him. Of course I would, and did. We met at a pool hall and shot some pool and talked a little. Seems he can't completely let go of some things that happened over the past 10 or so years while I was in prison and wants to talk about them.

I don't want to reopen those things but I recognize his needs so this is something I can do. Then down the road we can potentially finally put a lot of stuff to rest. During our hour or so shooting pool a few things were said that got me to thinking afterward that I need to learn how to be a dad again.

He said he was hoping, but not expecting, that I would call him and ask him ("invite" is the word he used) to the recent auto show in Philadelphia. The funny thing is that it crossed my mind but I did not do it. In conversation he always talks about how busy they are going here and there and with the one-year old so I (foolishly) opted out of calling him.

Guess I dropped the ball on that. Now where do I go. Because he came out and said he wanted to talk I am feeling that it now falls upon me as the dad to try to arrange how we do this. I will give him a call this weekend and see if we can get this started. I will keep you posted.

While we were shooting pool it was obvious I am not very competent at pool. Jim plays in a pool league and seems to know his way around on the felt. Guess I will have to settle for that and being a better player on the outside greens of a golf course. Balance is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment