Mission Statement

This is a blog about reentry into society for persons released from prison and the many difficulties and barriers they face. The writings contained in this blog come from personal experience and they are intended to put out information from the real life adventures I have come up against with navigating my reentry into society. The blog welcomes submissions from anyone who is or has gone through reentry after prison as well as from any authorities, organizations, etc. with information that would be help for prisoners with their reentry to society after incarceration.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The question

By Steve Gordon

Can you name 50 things you like about yourself? Can you name 100? This is a positive assessment you can make of yourself. It sounds like a lot but try it and see what happens. Without being too repetitive maybe don't put a limit on the list and just write. See how long you can make it?

This was an exercise in a group I was in while in prison. Some guys figured out some things they had not thought about in regard to themselves. Of course some guys wrote down what they thought were positives but actually were negatives because of their thinking. Those guys were a minimum and that is all I will say about them.

While we are making this assessment of ourselves let me diverse just a little and ask you to fill in the blanks on the following 15 items: (Make a complete sentences to express your real feelings.)
  1. I like_____________________
  2. The happiest time___________
  3. I want to know______________
  4. Back home_________________
  5. I regret____________________
  6. At bedtime_________________
  7. Men_______________________
  8. The best____________________
  9. What annoys me_____________
  10. People_____________________
  11. A mother___________________
  12. I feel_______________________
  13. My greatest fear______________
  14. In school____________________
  15. I can't______________________
Still with me?

Now here is the question:

Who are you?

Once you figure this out there should be no reason you can't live a happy successful life.

Here is my closing statement. On my list of things I like about myself at the last minute I erased number 50 on the form we were given and wrote the following"

"I like that I am a perfectly imperfect human being."

No comments:

Post a Comment