Mission Statement

This is a blog about reentry into society for persons released from prison and the many difficulties and barriers they face. The writings contained in this blog come from personal experience and they are intended to put out information from the real life adventures I have come up against with navigating my reentry into society. The blog welcomes submissions from anyone who is or has gone through reentry after prison as well as from any authorities, organizations, etc. with information that would be help for prisoners with their reentry to society after incarceration.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Letter (see Neglected post)


                                                                                          July 8, 2012


To Whom It May Concern:



A month or so ago I read in the local newspaper an article on a program for reintegration aimed at reentry into society for prisoners upon their release. What a relief to read that something is being done in that regard, if only on a local level.



From my experience, regardless of what the common belief is or what officials say is being done on a state level, this is an area that needs attention. My story briefly is that I spent 8 months in BCCC before serving the remainder of my 10 year maximum sentence at SCI-Cresson. I was released in May 2010.



During that time whatever assets I had and whatever life I had with work and family were lost. A divorce in 2003 relieved me of basically all material things and in the process I gave away a relationship with my son (that today is on the mend) and of course employment potential.



Today, if not for my elderly parents (ages 88 and 91), I might be living in a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere. I am fortunate to have VA Medical care available from my service in the US Navy during Vietnam and the Cold War in the nuclear submarine service. I live with my parents and take care of the house and help them as I can.



Individually I have established credit scores in the mid 700’s and purchased a vehicle getting an auto loan on my own merit. I have a part time job at a Chick-fil-A but it took me a year to get that and I feel fortunate to have it. I was also featured in an article by Jane Von Berg in the Philadelphia Inquirer in March 2011 in regard to employment for ex-offenders. I collect my Social Security and I have been able to rejuvenate my golf game for recreation as well as friendship with former golf buddies.



What I am getting at is that I have been through the process of reintegration and I have that personal experience to potentially help with your program and I would like to offer some of my time to the program. I am not concerned if there is compensation or not but if there is it surely would be appreciated.



Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.



Sincerely,



Steven R. Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment