Mission Statement

This is a blog about reentry into society for persons released from prison and the many difficulties and barriers they face. The writings contained in this blog come from personal experience and they are intended to put out information from the real life adventures I have come up against with navigating my reentry into society. The blog welcomes submissions from anyone who is or has gone through reentry after prison as well as from any authorities, organizations, etc. with information that would be help for prisoners with their reentry to society after incarceration.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Friendly visit follow up

By Steve Gordon

As my friend wrote me in an email, I guess you have a new friend. I responded that I am not sure I have friends in the police department, but maybe.

To back track, I thanked the detective for his courteous visit via email and he responded that he sent a letter to the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) confirming that I was living at my listed address, etc. Then two days later he wrote back that they reported that I had not re registered and to make a long story short as I informed him I had copies, he suggested I go to the PSP and re register.

I did that and guess what they found in a file cabinet? A hard copy of my visit to re register for ML. However, the officer that took it 1) dated it March 27 when it should have been May; and 2) he never forwarded it to Harrisburg which means technically I didn't re register.

The officer on duty when I went up said if they questioned it I had the copies to show. He is right, but if the sheriffs department or local police came to arrest me with a warrant that I had not re registered, do you think they would look at my evidence or follow their orders which were to arrest me and then they would sort out the reality of it later? I am thinking probably not.

All is well that ends well. They printed a new copy of my paperwork, dated it current and I signed it and got a copy and was on my way.

1 comment: